BC556 Bipolar Transistor
Characteristics of the BC556 bipolar transistor
- Type – PNP
- Collector-Emitter Voltage: -65 V
- Collector-Base Voltage: -80 V
- Emitter-Base Voltage: -5 V
- Collector Current: -0.1 A
- Collector Dissipation – 0.5 W
- DC Current Gain (hfe) – 110 to 800
- Transition Frequency – 150 MHz
- Noise Figure – 2 dB
- Operating and Storage Junction Temperature Range -65 to +150 °C
- Package – TO-92
Pin configuration (Pinout) of the BC556
The BC556 is manufactured in a plastic TO-92 case. When looking at the flat side with the leads pointed downward, the three leads emerging from the transistor are, from left to right, the collector, base, and emitter leads.
Here is an image showing the pin diagram of the this transistor.
Classification of hFE
The BC556 transistor might have a current gain anywhere between 110 and 800. The gain of the BC556A will be in the range from 110 to 220, BC556B ranges from 200 to 450, BC556C ranges from 420 to 800.
Complementary NPN transistor
The complementary NPN transistor to the BC556 is the BC546.
The SMD versions of the BC556 are available as the BC856 (SOT-23) and BC856W (SOT-323).