BC557 Bipolar Transistor
Characteristics of the BC557 bipolar transistor
- Type – PNP
- Collector-Emitter Voltage: -45 V
- Collector-Base Voltage: -50 V
- Emitter-Base Voltage: -5 V
- Collector Current: -0.1 A
- Collector Dissipation – 0.5 W
- DC Current Gain (hfe) – 110 to 800
- Transition Frequency – 150 MHz
- Noise Figure – 2 dB
- Operating and Storage Junction Temperature Range -65 to +150 °C
- Package – TO-92
Pin configuration (Pinout) of the BC557
The BC557 is manufactured in a plastic TO-92 case. When looking at the flat side with the leads pointed downward, the three leads emerging from the transistor are, from left to right, the collector, base, and emitter leads.
Here is an image showing the pin diagram of the this transistor.
Classification of hFE
The BC557 transistor might have a current gain anywhere between 110 and 800. The gain of the BC557A will be in the range from 110 to 220, BC557B ranges from 200 to 450, BC557C ranges from 420 to 800.
Complementary NPN transistor
The complementary NPN transistor to the BC557 is the BC547.
The SMD versions of the BC557 are available as the BC857 (SOT-23), BC857W (SOT-323), BC860 (SOT-23) and BC860W(SOT-323).
Replacement and equivalent transistor for the BC557
You can replace the BC557 with the BC556 or BC560